Years ago when I decided to make a Hardanger wedding sampler for my brother and sister-in-law, I decided I should practice Hardanger in another project first.
I found a simple beginners piece in the much missed Classic Stitches magazine called Christmas Star. I learned and did the klosters, star eyelets, nun's stitch border, cutting and woven bars. However, the pattern called for doing the eyelets after all the woven bars were done, instead of when you got to the right place and I didn't know any better. Hiding your threads while moving around all those woven bars is much harder and slower than just doing the fillings while you are weaving that area. I moved on to the wedding sampler after an eye or two and while I'd picked it up once or twice, I never got very far. (I did spend an evening with a pair of tweezers once doing damage control from my beginner's mistake of not cutting aggressively enough.)
It came out last week as I am reorganizing my stash, so I just sat down to finish it today. It needs ironing, but I think I will send it to the charity auction Cyberstitchers supports, so I will do that right before sending it.
This post has 4553 feedbacks awaiting moderation...