Pages: << 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 >>


Permalink 04:59:00 pm, by admin Email , 90 words   English (US) utf8
Categories: Other Fibre Arts

A Minor Obsession

Folding Ort Box, in progress

Earlier this year, my ANG chapter Cyberpointers did Marilyn Owen's Folding Ort Box out of the Chapter Project Book. I wasn't able to work on it at that time, but started it about a month ago. In the last few weeks, it has become a minor obsession for some reason. Part of it might be that I'm completely enamored of the colors I picked - which are nothing like my usual colors. I know part of it is that I'm looking forward to having the finished project to use as well.



Permalink 10:06:00 pm, by admin Email , 356 words   English (US) utf8
Categories: Canvaswork / Needlepoint

Continuous Wrapping Stitch

Continuous Wrapping is a stitch used in Casalguidi, a traditional Italian embroidery done on a counted ground that is very dimensional. I learned this stitch as part of the EGA Correspondence Course "Casalguidi and Lavender" by Barbara M. Kershaw. My photos are from my piece from that course, however, I think this stitch could have some very interesting uses on a needlepoint canvas where you want a strong, dimensional line, and I'm looking forward to trying that.

You start with 3 threads, 2 core threads and the working thread. The 2 core threads should be the same length, twice the desired length of the finished wrap plus 8". The working thread should be about 4" shy of double the length of the core threads (four times the desired length of the finished wrap plus about 4".) Thread your 2 core threads onto a needle. Stitch down on one side of a canvas thread and back up next to it. Remove the needle and even out the threads so that there are 4 even length tails coming out the front.
Attached Core of Continuous Wrap

Thread up your working thread and start it right next to the core. At this point you will want to clamp your hooped or framed canvas to your table or frame. If you don't have a wide clamp, you'll probably need 2.
Casalguidi piece clamped to futon arm

Here's how I hold the two core threads most of the time:
Holding core threads in left hand between thumb and middle finger with first finger underneath

Wrap the wrapping thread clockwise around the core until you get the desired length. (You probably would want to wrap counter-clockwise if you were using Z-twist Brazilian embroidery floss, but I haven't tried it yet.) Finish off the wrap with a buttonhole stitch (ie putting your thread behind the previous wrap.) If you want to put your work aside before you are to the end of the wrap, you can use a loose buttonhole stitch to temporarily hold your work.
wrapping finished

Take all 5 threads to the back in one hole where you want the end of your wrap to be tethered. Then work the ends in in singles or pairs.
Finished Continuous Wrap before couching

Finally, using a 4th thread couch the wrap down where you want it to go.
Couching Down the Continuous Wrap

The finished Continuous Wrap on my sample piece:
The finished Continuous Wrap


Permalink 10:18:00 pm, by admin Email , 58 words   English (US) utf8
Categories: Design

Blogathon to Support the EGA

Starting at 6am tomorrow, July 25th, I will be participating in Blogathon to support the Embroiders' Guild of America. I've set up a blog just for this at Selfless Stitching where I will be posting a blog post every half hour. Please come visit and if I inspire you to donate to the EGA, I'd appreciate your sponsorship!


Permalink 11:45:00 pm, by admin Email , 165 words   English (US) utf8
Categories: Other Fibre Arts

Diamond Iris

I haven't shown any of my progress on Diamond Iris since the first petal, but it's now all done except for part of the outer boarder filling. If you look closely, you can see the empty border and single and double running stitch. I'd like to try the double running stitch on another project using a thread with a less subtle color variation.


I taught this project as a class for CyberPointer at the May and July meetings. (The later ended yesterday.) Since I was writing addendum to the instructions, my commentary on the project all ended up there, not here. If I get motivated, I'll mine the instructions for good blog commentary; but honestly, it probably won't happen.

A few of my students have posted progress on their blogs (here and here) and I'm looking forward to seeing more as time goes on. (Like maybe here) NOTE TO STUDENTS: If I missed your blog, please leave a comment so I can check it out!


Permalink 01:40:00 am, by admin Email , 132 words   English (US) utf8
Categories: Counted Thread

My First Biscornu


Cyberstitchers, my EGA group, have been discussing making non-counted biscornu using the usual overcast edge seam. I decided to try using a pattern template so I could do a Brazilian Embroidery biscornu.

Between Friday evening and Saturday, I designed and stitched up my first biscornu. It went pretty well, although drawing in all the stitches (even with a template) seemed time consuming. In reality, it probably didn't take any more time than counting would have. You can't see it very well in the pictures, but I added a bead to the end of each drizzle stitch, which really helped visually define the ends and the fact that these are only attached to the fabric on one end.

Side 1 - inspired by Jenny Hart / Sublime Stitching's Free Fireworks Pattern

Side 2 (before adding the drizzles)


<< 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... 21 >>